Re: Modeling Biconical antennas using NEC

From: <bergervo_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 10:07:18 +0100 (MET)

> Probably this issue has been addressed before on this group. I have
> documentation and code for NEC (January 1981).
>
> With this, can I model biconical antennas ? Is there any frequency
> limit ??
>
> - regards,
>
> Deb Chatterjee
>
> RSL, EECS Department,
> University of Kansas

I) As for the actual biconical structure: the limit is reached for
   frequencies which would require a segment size approaching the wire
   radius, because NEC has numerical problems with segments that small,
   and also the physical assumption of axial current may fail. Still,
   this would bring you far into the GHZ range.
II) To model the complete antenna behavior, also the balun-transformer is
   needed. It seems difficult to model this completely in NEC. How do you
   plan to do that?

Cheers,
Jos

----
    Jozef R. Bergervoet                       Electromagnetism and EMC
    Philips Research Laboratories,          Eindhoven, The Netherlands