Re: Q: Favorite Antenna Texts

From: Paul Elliot <pelliot_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 16:37:34 -0500

>Not really an NEC question but an antenna question. What are your favorite
>antenna texts and why?
>
>Regards,
>
>BCW

My favorite antenna books are tend to be those that I have used the longest
since I am most familiar with their contents and notation.

My overall favorite is Johnson & Jasik because it covers alot of ground
(like most handbooks it is big enough to choke a mule). It is also readable
and provides a good balance between the theoretical and practical.

I also like the textbook by Balanis but am biased since it was my antenna
textbook way back in graduate school.

Other books on my shelf are useful for certain types of antennas or
problems. I recently aquired the handbook by Lo & Lee but have had less time
to become aquainted with it. It covers some specialized types of
applications well.

A text by Milligan I have found useful considering it's small size,
especially for the tables of Taylor array amplitude taper loss factors, or
for a quick, higly readable introduction to some type of antenna.

Elliott's text I have found useful for waveguide slotted arrays, and also
for a somewhat more in-depth discussion of polarization than in most other
textbooks.

The handbook by Rudge et.al. often provides a very in-depth treatment of
some esoteric antenna topic but can be difficult to read. It occasionally
provides an illuminating gem, for example the section on baluns. It's many
references also help with theoretical types of problems.