Propagation Book List

From: Scott Townley <nx7u_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 15:58:03 -0700 (MST)

I had several requests for my threatened list of "my favorite propagation
books".
So at the risk of overly amusing some of the more esteemed readers, here goes.

---HF---
1. Davies, Ionospheric Radio Propagation (1st ed. is an National Bureau of
Standards [USA] circular, 2nd. edition entitled simply "Ionospheric Radio"
pub. by IEE [Britian]). Granddaddy of 'em all. Maybe I think so because
Dr. Davies was kind enough to teach it to me in graduate school as a
visiting professor at Univ. of Colorado. Lucky me!

2. Terman, Radio Engineers' Handbook. Has a most excellent summary of MF,
HF, and VHF propagation characteristics, chock full of graphs, etc. Mostly
condensed and amplified to an extent from papers by Norton and Bullington,
both of the FCC [USA] in the late '30s and early '40s. Has the advantage
that it's all in one place.

3. Jordan, Electromagnetic Waves and Radiating Systems. Mentioned this one
in my antenna list too.

4. Maclean and Wu, Radio-Wave Propagation Over Ground. Good treatment of
MF/HF ground wave info.

5. Watt, VLF Radio Engineering. Systemic overview of VLF/LF propagation.
Very rare.

6. CCIR Report 322, Characteristics and Applications of Atmospheric Radio
Noise Data. After all, it's not just signal level, it's signal-to-noise.

7. Braun (published by Siemens), can't remember the exact name but it's
something like "Planning and Engineering of Shortwave Radio Links". Link
budgeting from A-Z for all modulation types, 3-30 MHz.

---UHF and Microwave---

8. Jakes, Microwave Mobile Communications. Biblical for mobile radio (e.g.,
cellular).

9. Kerr, Propagation of Short Radio Waves (an MIT Rad Lab publication).

10. Shibuya, A Basic Atlas of Radio-Wave Propagation. This one has it all,
in gory detail, hundreds of pages of charts, nomographs, etc. A gold mine
and again, extremely rare in my experience.

11. (A bonus!). Engineering Considerations for Microwave Communications
Systems, originally by Lenkurt, then GTE, then AG Communications. A
vendor-supplied guideline for microwave hop engineering. Very practical.

I'd love to hear of any additions/omissions, either via the list or directly.
--soapbox mode off--
Scott Townley
nx7u_at_primenet.com