Re: whip antenna coupling prediction

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 17:58:35 -0500

Larry,

We have carried out detailed studies (using MININEC which is a very good
model for a ship on the ocean) for standard marine whips on fibre-glass
ships and sailboats. It requires quite a detailed wire grid structure to
model metal ships (several thousand elements) and so that is a very
different problem, but it has been done by Stan Kubina, Concordia
University, by Ed Miller and others -- not only for machine capacity but
for the job of setting up the model.

For whips or wire antennas on ships we were concerned with coupling,
because of the problem of burning out the antenna tuner connected to one
antenna when transmitting on an adjacent antenna.

We assumed that both antennas were being used in a transceive
configuration, i.e. an antenna tuner was used whether the antenna was used
for receive or transmit. This requires quite a bit of iteration if the
antennas are rather closely coupled -- tuned to closely the same
frequencies. We put the source first on one antenna and determin the
antenna's impedance. We then tuned out the reactance. We put the source
on the other antenna and determine its impedance. We tuned out the
reactance. We keep repeating until both antennas were resonant each at its
used frequency.

We then put transmitter power into one antenna and determine the current
induced into the other tuned antenna (tuned albeit to a different
frequiency) -- but certainly a significant power flows in the so-called
receive antenna. You have to use current sources and determine induced
current in the receive antenna, to calculate voltage across the tuning
reactance in the receive antenna.

For antennas on sail-boats we were interested in the current induced into
the rigging. The so-call insulated back-stay antenna introduces so much
current into the rigging you might as well throw away the back-stay antenna
and shunt feed the rigging!!! While you may not realize the radiation
pattern you want at least this eliminates the problem of insulating the
back-stay -- and you may not realize the pattern you think you have if you
drive a back-stay antenna directly!!!

This in my view should be a problem of general interest, and so I am
posting my reply to all on the NEC-Users List.

Good luck with your modelling.

73, Jack, VE2CV