Combining fields

From: <BURKE_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 17:46:34 -0800 (PST)

>Re: Combining fields -- Peter Richeson's problem and Andre Fourie's
     comments.

I don't think that I can provide any more expertise than Andre has. The
distance of 2/10 wavelength (2 segment lengths) seems reasonable for near
fields near a mesh if fields inside are reasonably large. If there is a
high degree of shielding then errors become more significant. In doing
the separate internal/external problems I would not know how to
terminate the external and internal wires on the surface (open, short,
50 ohms?), but I have not done this sort of problem before. In this
case "numerical resonances" could be a problem. If the wires are run
through the grid then internal resonances become real. This might be
reasonable if the wires actually run through large holes with no attempt
to stop the currents.

Jerry Burke
LLNL