Re: Antenna/EM programs in Universities/colleges

From: Andre Fourie <fourie_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 28 22:05 MET 1996

Feng Niu,

Computational Electromagnetic Group
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of the Witwatersrand
Johannesburg
South Africa

(see contact details after signature)

Group Structure

Leader: Dr. APC Fourie

Researchers/Lecturers:

Dr. O Givati
Dr. AR Clark
Dr. DC Nitch
Mr. Robert Fleming
Mr. Michael Franze
Mr. Peter Ho

Main activities:

EM design, measurement and simulation in the rough frequency range
2MHz to 1.8 GHz. Considerable activity in the field of aircraft
antenna research in the frequency range 2MHz - 420MHz. Our activities
rely heavily on our development of theory and programs to facilitate
analysis. We have an improved version of the NEC2 code called
SuperNEC, a Structure Interpolation and Gridding (SIG) package for
generating wire grid structures and a Antenna System Evaluation
Package (ASEP) for analyzing air craft communication taking into
account real spherical earth propagation and aircraft 3 dimensional
patterns along with many other C++, Pascal and Matlab aplets to allow
for data analysis and the like.

Facilities: IBM/Sun workstations, a number of Pentium PC's, an
anechoic chamber (300 MHz- 3 GHz), roof range (30 MHz - 1.5 GHz),
spectrum analyzers, signal generators, test receiver and network
analyzers.

Examples of research:
-Development of computational tools above
-Evaluation of 7 aircraft using scale model measurement in conjunction
with simulation.
-Development of cellular antenna
-Development of HF simple broadband antennas
-Development of anechoic and open air antenna ranges
-Development of commercial "plastic" yagi TV receive antenna

I hope this answers the question in brief and would like to hear what
other research groups are involved with.

Regards
Andre Fourie

e-mail: fourie_at_odie.ee.wits.ac.za
Tel: intl + 27 11 716 5386
Fax: intl + 27 11 339 4610
Address: Dr. APC Fourie, Dept Elec Eng, PO WITS, 2050, South Africa