Antenna Arrays around Cylinders

From: <dchatterjee_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:28:19 -0500 (CDT)

  While simulating radiation patterns of circular arc arrays around
  cylinders, I noticed that if I leave all sources having same amplitude
  distribution, then there results a serious pattern distortion near the
  boresight. This can be corrected by suitable taper of the amplitude
  distribution. (Taylor / Hamming or maybe other even-symmetric types).
  Phase taper (even-symmetic) alone could not correct this. A proper
  beam could be formed with such corrections.

  What is most surprising was that beamwidths and sidelobe levels were
  *significantly* reduced when both amplitude and phase tapers were used.

  Did anyone else observe such a similar phenomenon earlier ?

  - regards,
  Deb Chatterjee

  Graduate Research Assistant
  Radar Systems and Remote Sensing Laboratory
  Room 322, Nichols Hall
  2291 Irving Hill Road
  Lawrence, KS 66045-2969

  tel: (913)864-7742
  fax: (913)864-7789
  e-mail: dchatterjee_at_kuhub.cc.ukans.edu