fwd: Re: Cylindrical arrays

From: Christopher Smith <CSMITH_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 02 May 96 17:10

======== Original Message ========

> From: CSMITH_at_MAXENG.delfin.com (Christopher Smith)
> To: davem_at_ee.ubc.ca (dchatterjee)
> Subject: Cylindrical arrays
> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 09:54
>
> Amplitude taper in linear arrays to reduce sidelobes and beam width are
> pretty well known. I suspect the phase taper corrects for the array
> conforming to a cylinder.
>
> Chris Smith
> Delfin Systems
> csmith_at_delfin.com
>
> Chris,
       What I think you wanted to say is that
amplitude taper reduces sidelobes and increases
beamwidth. The phase taper does correct for a plane
wave arriving at the circular array as is done for
CDAAs.

Bill Vail
WAVE Associates, Inc.

======== Fwd by: Christopher S ========
I guess I misstated it. You can apply a taper to a uniform linear array and
reduce sidelobes at the expense of broadening the beamwidth, or you can
reduce the beamwidth at the expense of increasing the sidelobes. And of
course, the phase corrections for "bending" a linear array into a circular
arc are a first order correction only.
Chris