RE: Loss through concrete

From: Alexandre Kampouris <ak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:01:41 -0400

Hello everyone!

I would suppose that the report mentioned in the message reproduced below
refers to the attenuation of a plane wave propagating *entirely* through the
material, and that reflections at the interfaces are neglected. Wouldn't a
complex permittivity measurement be more useful? I don't think that it could
be derived from these attenuation figures, as they really only express the
phase angle of epsilon_r, and not it's magnitude.

Am I correct?

Is that kind of complex permittivity data tabulated somewhere? I am thinking
of attempting one day the simulation of a small wire antenna placed near a
concrete wall, and might use for that the Somerfeld lossy ground auxiliary
program of NEC.

JUST WAIT A SECOND! I just remembered that I had seen this exact same
question asked on a USENET forum last year, and that I had saved the answer.
Here it is:

> 10 Mar 1995 18:15:29 -0600
>
> Try:
>
> The Chemistry of Cements, Vol. 2, ch. 23, H. F. W. Taylor ed., Academic
Press, 1964.

> J. Materials Science, 26, p. 2984, 1991.
>
> Mag. Concrete Res., 36, #126, p. 42, 1984.
>
> Alan

This apperently initially came from : kridnix_at_master.ceat.okstate.edu
(Richard Cheville)

I have never been to check the references at the library, so I don't know
what they're worth. I'll have to see. I had also seen in an other thread a
while back the following answer to a similar question, but on liquids:

> You can find a lot of dielectric data on liquids and solids on:
> A.R.Von Hippel, DIELECTRIC MATERIALS AND APPLICATIONS, M.I.T. Press

Comments anyone?

Alexandre Kampouris

G&A Télécom S.A.R.F.
Montréal