NEC2 failure modes/limitations--Write it up!

From: <Fractenna_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:26:11 -0400

Hi There--

I write a column for Communications Quarterly called 'Antenna Exotica'.
Comm.Quart (pronounced like the fruit) is an excellent magazine which covers
the transition region of hams/pros, and antennas is one of its strengths.
Indeed, several people on the nec list are loyal contributors.

I would like to suggest that someone (or a collaboration) write up an article
on the limitations and failure modes of NEC2 ( no mininec please; NEC2 for
wires is becoming the standard for hams). Some of the commercialized
versions (like Roy Lewallen's EZNEC and EZNEC-M) have some of these
limitations built-in with warnings. But what is needed is an article with
practical examples of failures/misleading results. Such results might
include: 1) choosing the wrong pulse density; 2) placing the antenna too
close to a ground plane; and so on. And of course, if someone can suggest
how to estimate UNCERTAINTIES, this would be a real plus.

My preference is not to write this article myself, because my NEC2/wires
testing of fractal antennas put me too close to the line of fire (fractal
antennas have oodles of bends). However, if someone WANTS to publish this in
a less formal fashion than the AP Magazine, here's your chance. In a pinch, I
could act as a collaborator in the context of helping write/rewrite to taste.
But this is your baby if you're up to it.

Let me know if you have an interest and I'll put you in touch the the editor.

Best

Chip Cohen