Re: Helical Antennas

From: Hideho Yamamura <hyamamu_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:42:40 +0900

At 7:56 AM 96.8.8 -0400, Neil Fox wrote:
>My masters thesis was a study of helical antennas, and the building of a
>prototype helical array (hooray for me ...). I found that NEC was 100%
>unreliable for helical antennas in both the so-called axial and normal
>modes. It has to do with the fact that the helical antenna acts as a
>waveguide structure that does not lend itself to NEC-like modeling. Kraus
>and some others tried to characterize helical antenna gain using NEC-like
>methods (actually closed form solutions), resulting in gross
>overestimates. Some really good work was done by Aerospace Corp (King and
>Wong) in the 1970's (?).

Does this mean that NEC is not suitable for analysing waveguide or cavity,
even if the actual structure is made of mesh or wires ?

Hideho YAMAMURA, hyamamu_at_kanagawa.hitachi.co.jp
Senior Engineer,
Hardware Technology Development Department,
Advanced Product and Technology Development Operation,
General Purpose Computer Division,
Hitachi, Ltd., Japan