(no subject)

From: <BURKE_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:16:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Does anyone know how NEC2 interprets a negative capacitance ??
>

>(I am using a series RLC loading card). Strangely, I am getting the results
>that I have been looking for, but with a disappointing negative capacitance.
>I tried taking their absolute values and then re-running NEC2, but the results
>are different. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks alot,
>
> Jeff

A negative capacitance or inductance should be handled correctly in
NEC-2; at least in the current version here. If C is zero in a series
RLC it is treated as a short circuit rather than open, and in a parallel
RLC, L=0 or R=0 are treated as open rather than shorted. The tests for
"zero" values are done in subroutine LOAD. The load takes effect
IF(ABS(ZLR(ISTEP)).GT.1.E-20), the same for ZLI and ZLC for R, L, C,
respectively. You can check that the ABS() is used in your version of
NEC.

As a check you can put a RLC load on just the source segment of an
antenna. The impedance of the load should be added to the value
printed as input impedance.

Jerry Burke
LLNL