Re: Gain measurement using the Precision beamwidth method

From: W Stutzman <stutzman_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 08:44:34 +0600

It is correct that directivity is obtained from the pattern and does not
include any ohmic losses on the antenna structure, as does gain.
Polarization and impedance mismatch are not antenna characteristics (they
are system items) and are not included in directivity or gain. I never
heard of the "precision beamwidth method".
> I expect the method is that of "pattern integration" which
> gives *directivity* not pure *gain*. I believe Arthur C. Ludwig
> in the United States may have published on this. For low I^2R
> dissipation antennas (some microwave horns as an example) you
> can estimate the small I^2R loss with good accuracy and get the
> absolute gain quite closely that way. NBS (now NIST) in the U.S.
> may be knowledgeable; another source might be A. C. Newell in
> Boulder Colorado.
>
> Regards
>
> Dan Bathker

Warren Stutzman