Re: NEC-LIST: Axial Mode Helices

From: P.S.Excell <_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:13:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:02:01 GMT Brian Austin <ee104_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone modelled an axial-mode helix using either
> NEC, MININEC, ELNEC, EZNEC etc?
>
> If so, please let me have the relevant references because I've
> a student who is producing some weird numbers and now thinks
> he should've chosen a digital project. We can't have that!
>
> Many thanks
>
> Brian Austin.

Brian,
You are likely to be on a loser here. None of these bog-standard
programs can be trusted with helices (in general). They suffer from the
well-known NEC problem of loops coupling with free ends which carry
charge concentrations, plus the other well-known problem of parallel
wires. Transverse currents in the wires can also be significant as the
structure is self-resonant to some extent.

I have a PhD student who has pretty much cracked this problem and is
writing up his thesis. We hope to market his program but we're not
quite ready yet.

Peter

P.S.Excell
@bradford.ac.uk