Re: NEC-LIST: Modeling loops

From: Jim Logan <logan_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 96 07:46:46 PST

Roy,

I ran MININEC Professional for a square loop with
a radius about equal to AWG 12 and found resonance
at a perimeter of P(ft) = 1045/f(MHz). I suspect
the result is radius dependent. The thumb rule you
cite may be for an infinitely thin wire, possibly
based on a statics solution. I ran a square loop
for radii of 1E-06, 1E-09, and 1E-20 ft. MININEC
Professional response for a square loop is flat
with radii of 1E-06 ft or smaller. I did not carry
it any further than 1E-20. The best result obtained
is P = 1037/f. By the way, for the record, MININEC
Professional has an improved formulation over previous
versions of MININEC -- the use of very short segments
at the corners is not required.

Best Regards,

JIM Logan