Re: NEC-LIST: Enhancing low-angle radiation for h.f.

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 22:31:56 -0400

Warren Ziegler <WZiegler_at_ix.netcom.com> replied to my original post:

> Using two phased antennas one above the other has been tried by
> a number of people I know. Chuck O'Neal, K1KW (formerly WA1EKV) has
> tried yagis with variable phasing and has good sucess in varying the
> vertical angle (by changing the phase relationship of the two
> antennas). Several people have used this trick on 75 meters, usually
> feeding two dipoles (one above the other) out of phase to enhance
> high angle radiation. The low dipole is usually about 1/4 wave above
> ground, and the high dipole is 1/4 to 1/2 wave above the low
> dipole. (On 75 meters only stations with substantial towers can get
> away with this!) I believe that Tom K1JJ has been experimenting with
> this for some time now.
>
> I believe one of the advertised advantages of stacked yagis fed
> in phase is a lower vertical angle, in addition to greater horizontal
> directivity.
>
> Don't know if this helps.
>
>73 Warren, NY2H

Thanks for these helpful and relevant examples. I played with the
spacing as well as the phasing and current magnitude ratio of the two
antennas, and found little benefit from one-quarter-wave spacing. (My
playing was limited to upper antenna heights of 3/4 wl or less. If
you can go higher, you should.) One-half-wave spacing with in-phase
currents seems to be good because it yields a radiation pattern with
nulls at both the zenith and the nadir, where radiation is wasted if
you're interested in DX skip.

73 de Chuck W1HIS