Re: NEC-LIST: Modeling short dipoles

From: <paul.e.gili_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:28:27 -0500

Hi, Charley,

Let's forget the matching network and drive the antenna without one.
If you take the reflection loss associated with the antenna-generator
mismatch into account you will get the gain of the combination. For
example, if the antenna had an impedance of 5+j0 ohms, and the source
was a 50 ohm generator, the antenna's voltage reflection coefficient
(rho) would be (50-5)/(50+5) = .818 and 1-(rho)^2 = .331 = -4.81dB.
This -4.81dB is the amount of power delivered to the antenna
resistance relative to what is available at the source and has to be
factored into the overall path loss. Then you have to figure out how
much of the antenna resistance is radiation resistance (Rrad) or
copper loss (Rs) and how it effects the power to Rrad given the Rs you
have. It's more of a circuit theory problem than a radiation one.

--
Paul, AA1LL, Greenville, NH
paul.e.gili_at_lmco.com