NEC-List: modeling LF small loop antennas

From: Tihovsky Slava (RBAU/EBE) <Slava.Tihovsky_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:16:12 +0100

Dear All,

Can anybody help me please with some hints which software can be
useful to simulate small loops (<10^(-5)l) to operate in low frequency
range (90-130 KHz) ?

I am thinking about getting some NEC software, but I have some doubts
about eg. NEC-2: its limitation for segment length >10^(-3)l (wire
modeling) will be violated in this frequency range and small antenna
dimensions, causing an increase in numerical inaccuracy (to what
extent ? - another question).

Perhaps NEC-4 is more applicable once it has improved accuracy for
electrically-small segments ?

Or, may be, I do not need any NECs at all, because in this frequency
band and for antennas dimensions up to, say, 1 meter the coupling
between loops is more like coupled transformers. If it is so, codes to
simulate magnetic field of such transformers are more suitable ?

There is another question: I was going to play with NEC-2 to clarify
some of the above and downloaded nec2pc.zip from the Internet, trying
to use it with PC Pentium DOS/Windows platform. However it was not
successful: after unzipping and running nec2.exe, the code is asking
for names of UNIT 5 and UNIT 6. What can it be: incorrect
uncompressing, incompatibility with a specific platform or missing
info for setup ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Slava Tihovsky. Robert Bosch Australia,
< Slava.Tihovsky_at_pcm.bosch.de > Development of Advanced Concepts
Dept.