Re: NEC-LIST: J-pole modeling, also LPVAs

From: John Mock <kd6pag_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:18:38 -0800

I'm also interested in whether anyone has been successful in modeling
J-poles, as i'd like to try some experiments with a true dual-band
(e.g. not merely tuned for 2M and 70cm, as its vertical pattern on
70cm is not very good). I understand this may be an antenna that
NEC2 (or NEC4) has trouble with.

Also, has anyone done much with LPVAs? I'm trying to do this with
a single segment perpendicular to the boom, with the remaining
segments at the appointed angle, and linking them with TL cards,
like an LPDA, as follows (stretched for ASCII readability):

           /
          / /
         / / /
        / / / /
        |----|---|--|
        \ \ \ \
         \ \ \
          \ \
           \

I'm just not sure whether the results i'm getting are sufficiently
meaningful without building an example to verify (which i'm neither
accustomed nor ready to do). But i am seeing seeingly close agree-
ment between a conventional LPDA and an LPVA with an angle of phi
close to zero.
                        -- KD6PAG (Networking Old-Timer, RF newbie)