Re: NEC-LIST: HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:49:04 -0500

Thank you Deb.

Here is news from me, about my activities next year.

-------------------------

Hello to my INTERNET reachable Friends and Colleagues,

It has been more than 46-years since I started to work at The Defence
Research Board's Radio Propagation Laboratory, on the Prescott
Highway, in September 1951; and if one wants to count years, I started
doing research in the field of radio science a year earlier --- my
M.A.Sc. research (1950-51) at UBC, which was concerned with the fine
structure of the (ionospheric) E-region, was supported by DRB.

It is perhaps time to be doing something different, but not all that
different (from a research point of view) since I like what I am
doing. But, perhaps not working full-time! I have made my decision
therefore to retire as Director of Radio Sciences, on 19 December,
1997.

I specifically say I am retiring as Director, since the President of
CRC has agreed to an arrangement which allows me a 2-year "transition
to full retirement", and so starting in January 1998 I will work only
1/3 of my normal work hours, devoting myself exclusively to radio
science research.

Excepting for periods when Denise and I are out of town, e.g. our
annual Yukon truck-travel trailer trek to the West Coast, I expect to
be here at CRC on most Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, but
effectively my work week (as a part time employee) will be 12 1/2
hours.

So, it is not really good-bye or au revoir.

I will be continuing to do research, principally in the fields of
antennas and electromagnetics. I am very pleased that Gerry Turcotte
has offered me this work arrangement, since I will still have an
office in the Radio Sciences Branch; I will have the tools to do
research; I will be able to keep in touch, particularly in the fields
of my interests, with work going on at CRC; and, I will retain my
known connections to the outside world, since my INTERNET address
(e.g. on the NEC (Numerical Electromagnetic Code) List) will still
show @ CRC, so that those that know me will know that I am alive and
well, not a has-been, and still a part of the work force.

Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noel, and a Happy New Year, Bonne et Heureuse
Annee 1998.

Jack, VE2CV

                               -------------------------------end

> Greetings to Maxwellians all over the world !
>
> HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!
> Deb Chatterjee

John S. (Jack) Belrose, PhD Cantab, VE2CV
Senior Radio Scientist
Radio Sciences Branch
3701 Carling Avenue
PO Box 11490 Stn. H