Re: NEC-LIST: What is BLT and TCL/TK??

From: Dave Michelson <davem_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 11:12:13 -0800 (PST)

Roger A. Cox WB0DGF wrote:

> Pardon me for my ignorance. The "Jiffy" by W5GFE sounds
> interesting, but what is BLT and what is TCL/TK. I assume that it
> must have something to do with UNIX, which we don't have and
> likely will NEVER have.

Roger,

Like most good things, Tcl/Tk was born in the UNIX environment.
However, Tcl/Tk interpreters now exist for UNIX, Windows, and MacOS.
If properly designed, Tcl/Tk applications are indeed "multi-platform".

(Tcl is the name of the scripting language. Tk is the name of the
toolkit which provides the geometry manager, widgets, etc. BLT is a
library of Tk extensions.)

At a glance, one can think of Tcl/Tk as a poor man's alternative to
Java and a cousin to PERL. For more info, check out:

          http://sunscript.sun.com/
and
          http://www.teraform.com/~lvirden/tcl-faq/

--
Dave Michelson                       AT&T Wireless Services
davem_at_ee.ubc.ca                      Wireless Local Technologies Group