Re: NEC-LIST: About the speed of wave

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:03:17 -0400

At 5:12 AM -0400 6/12/98, Maciek_Walkowiak wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Chuck Counselman wrote:

>> (1) If the conductor is perfect, then wave propagation along it is at
>> the speed of light in vacuuo.
>>
>> Best regards -Chuck.
>
>The statement about the speed of wave along a perfect conductor is not
>true. Pocklington (18..) wrote that for a perfectly conducting and
>infinitely long wire the speed of electromagnetic wave along athe wire has
>gone to the speed of lights only if the wire radius has gone to zero. I
>get from above that the speed of EM wave along wires is less than the
>speed of lights in free space because of an nonzero radius and not because
>of ends phenomena.
>
>With infinitely :-))
>
>Maciek Walkowiak

If end effects don't matter, then why does the length of the perfectly
conducting wire matter? I.e., why "infinitely long"?

I believe we need to know the context of the statement you attribute
to Pocklington, and precisely what he said, before we can understand
it. By any chance do you have his book or his paper at hand so you
can give us more info.?

-C. (whose v<<c)