NEC-LIST: Buried Radials

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:42:00 -0400

Grant,

You have asked:

Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 17:51:30 -0400
From: Grant Bingeman <DrBingo_at_compuserve.com>
Subject: NEC-LIST: NEC4D and buried antennas

Has anybody used NEC4D to model buried transmitting and receiving
antennas? Has there been any validation?

Grant Bingeman

Comment:

Comparing with measured data for 120 buried radials is not a very
informative test. Losses are small, and NEC predicts small losses.
Comparing impedance (computed vs. measured) is also a problem, since
the measured impedance for MF broadcast antennas is influenced by
stray effects, such as base insulator capacitance, capacitance of guy
insulators, lighting transformers, etc.

We need data which show how field strength and impedance change as
number of radials change --- and the only set of data that I know of
are the very early (primitive) data of Brown et. al, 1937.

I have tried to find agreement between measured and computed FI and
impedance, see below. I also append Jerry Burke's response to an
earlier copy of this text, in which Table 1 showed results only for
average ground (3 mS/m, 13).

I have noted George Hagn's comments.

Jack, VE2CV

Buried Radials - Revised
_________________

We have shown that we can compute the performance of MF broadcast
antennas employing elevated radials using NEC-4D [reference Belrose,
Communications Quarterly, Spring 1998 issue]. But we have yet to
validate that we can compute the performance of a monopole with buried
radials. This is a progress report, on our work, which seems to say
yes-and-no??

The ground systems used by MF broadcasters are based on the results of
the classical experimental study by Brown et. al. [1937]. Therefore,
any comment concerning the ability of NEC-4 to predict field strength
and impedance for antenna systems should look at a comparison between
prediction and the measured parameters by Brown et. al.

In an earlier study the I did not find a very close agreement in being
able to predict impedance or field strengths, in fact a discouraging
disagreement. On closer study of the paper by these authors we note
that the graphed field intensities at one mile given in the paper were
determined from a single measurement at 0.3 mile (482.8 m), and the
ground conductivity was said to be poor (a conductivity of 2 mS/m was
mentioned) and the frequency (3 MHz) well above the MF broadcast band.
Hence the value plotted is not the unattenuated field strength at one
mile, which is the usual reference for determining power radiated, and
antenna efficiency. But the measured trends should be correct.

We have for one antenna height 75-degrees (h = 20.833 m for the
frequency used 3 MHz), and one radial length (length 90 feet, or 0.274
wavelengths), computed (using NEC-4D) field strength (at 1 mile) in
exactly the way it was measured. Details of our model are given in
Note 1. We repeated the calculation for four ground conductivities, 2
mS/m, 3 mS/m, 5 mS/m and 10 mS/m. We find the best agreement between
our computed values and the measured values are for good ground
conductivity (10 mS/m, 30). This seems reasonable, since the
photographs seem to show agricultural ground. See Table 1.

Clearly, according to NEC-4, for low to average conductivities, the
radials which are a part of the antenna system, dominantly affect the
antenna's impedance, particularly the resistive component.

                                Table 1
Average ground
________________
Number Measured Predicted Antenna Impedance
of Radials mV/m mV/m Measured Predicted

15 153 137.2 29.0 - j 45 22.2 - j 52.9

30 162 157.5 24.6 - j 45 17.0 - j 54.6

60 176 174.6 23.5 - j 45 13.7 - j 56.3

113 179 184.4 22.3 - j 45 12.1 - j 57.5

PEC 22.1 - j 67.1

Good Ground
____________

15 153 158 29.0 - j 45 25.8 - j 59

30 162 169.3 24.6 - j 45 22.8 - j 60.3

60 176 178.4 23.5 - j 45 20.6 - j 61.4

113 179 183.7 22.3 - j 45 19.2 - j 62.3

Notes

1. The antenna was a 2.5 inch diameter (63.5 mm) steel pipe, mounted
on a hardwood base insulator (height not known but probably 10-12
inches, say 30 cm). We used the segment taper option available with
EZNEC pro. We used a minimum segment length of 0.3 m, such that the
minimum segment length/diameter equaled about 5 for the antenna.
Maximum segment length about 1.17 m (conservative segment length for a
frequency 3-times the reference frequency); and changing the maximum
segment length to 2.34 m had a neglible effect. Our antenna height is
measured from ground level; hence the height of the base insulator is
ignored.

For our model the radial wires were buried 20 cm, Number 8 wire. It
is not clear how deep the wires were buried for the experiment, since
there is a misprint in the paper, but it might have been 6 inches (15
cm). For our radial wire model end 1 of the first segment (length 0.3
m) was at the surface of the ground, and end 2 was sloped to the
buried depth. The first segment on the long horizontal part of the
buried radial was also 0.3 m in length.

Reference

G.H. Brown, R.F. Lewis and J. Epstein, "Ground Systems as a Factor in
Antenna Efficiency", Proc. IRE, 25, June 1937, pp. 753-787.