NEC-LIST: induced voltages

From: Graeme Cairns <Graeme.Cairns_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:49:53 +0200

Throw me in the dumb corner too, but I'm confused about several points
that have come up in this discussion and I'd appreciate it if someone
would clarify them:

1) What exactly determines the "antenna factor" mentioned by Cliff
Kraft? I expect it is a combination of losses in the antenna and
impedance matching between the antenna and the load.

2) What is the optimal impedance relationship between the load and the
cable for accurate measurement of ambient fields? - In his original
question, Grant Bingeman suggested that the load impedance might be
the complex conjugate of the cable impedance. Max Schmitt's analysis
also assumed a matched impedance. However, the electric field probes
mentioned by Matt Taylor have high impedance loads.

It seems to me that with a low impedance (obtained by matching load to
cable) the load would tend to short the measured field. On the other
hand a load with a high input impedance will generally give you a
noisier measurement.

This issue interests me as I'm looking at measuring weak ambient
electric fields on the seafloor using electric dipole receivers. In
experiments to date, the fields I've measured have tended to be weaker
than I'd expected from theory, and the discussion in this group may
help explain why.

Thanks,
Graeme Cairns