Re: NEC-LIST: Airframe antennas for HF communications

From: Michael Bradford <michael_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:32:21 +0100

In message <9807252018.AA24260_at_fs1.ece.ubc.ca>, Mr Phil Ede
<philede_at_fastnet.co.uk> writes

--
Hi Phil
I used NEC to model HF antennas on aircraft in my previous job at
British Aerospace, though not for airliners unfortunately and we didnt
publish any of our work.
Some good papers are out there on modelling aircraft antennas in the
ACES journals. A good one for HF antennas is in the March 1994 ACES
journal 'Some examples of the prediction and validation of near field
dependent aircraft HF Antenna Parameters using NEC' by Jeff Cox of the
Defence Evaluation and Research Agency. There have also been papers on
modelling HF on helicopters but I cant remember which ACES journals
they were in.
My previous experience indicated that NEC was very useful for the
radiation patterns but didnt provide much help on assessing the
efficiency of HF antennas which can be a less than 1% at 2 MHz. This
typically requires prediction of the radiation resistance and
measurement of the combined radiation and loss resistance on the
actual aircraft.
In my present job at National Air Traffic Services we are looking at
performing similar studies to yours for the VHF and UHF ATC radio
stations. I'd welcome the chance to discuss our/your work further.
Regards
Michael Bradford