Re: NEC-LIST: cross field antennas

From: RW Adler <rwa_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 20:02:31 -0800

Gentlemen:

The CFA can be put to rest by a simple exercise. Try this and see:

The inventors claim that it "works" because the E field from the disc
plates when crossed into the H field from the fat dipole/monopole,
(which has a 90 phase shift forced by the phasing network) shows the
required "in-phase relationship and quadrature space relationship" for
an outward going poynting vector! (Sounds and looks good! Real
in-phase power!)

But they conveniently "forgot" to include the remaining E from the
quadrature shifted dipole and the H from the discs! Those cute little
devils just so happen to produce and INWARD GOING poyinting vector,
which adds up to NO real power over that from a small dipole! (SIGH!)

Any radiation measured in the original experiment (at 80 meters) had
to come from the"phasing coils of coax" mounted on a nearby cart, and
from the "instrumentation" which was a scope sitting beside the
antenna feed point, which was used to measure the 90 degree phase
tweak.

A group of SRI engineers assembled a "kit" obtained from the inventors
(for 400 pounds sterling) and tested it under very carefully
controlled conditions. They used a very good ground plane (no loss)
and hardline coax to prevent leakage radiation and loss-induced feed
point resistance terms and removed the phasing networks from the
vicinity of the antenna to prevent currents from the antenna from
flowing on the outer conductors of the cables. Results: A very short
antenna with typical highly reactive input reactance and very low
resistance and no surprises in field strength measured. (These
results are not available as they were funded by an agency that
remains very low profile.)

I have followed this little fairy tale since its first telling and
have not seen any data that can be verified. In a recent trip to the
middle east, a very competent broadcast engineer was not able to
witness the output power from the transmitter nor able to verify the
antenna current nor the input impedance due to some "unfortunate
situations" during a scheduled proof of performance visit for a major
MF/HF U.S. company. "And the music goes round and round...."

R W Adler