Re: NEC-LIST: cross field antenna

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:13:06 -0600

I was curious so I wrote to the NEC-LIST:
>I'd never heard of a "cross field antenna" (CFA) before reading about
>it recently on this list.... Does anyone on the NEC-LIST have...a sketch
>or drawing of a CFA...?

Paul Moody <paulmoody_at_onaustralia.com.au> was kind enough to e-mail a
dimensioned sketch to me.

When I saw it I checked my computer's calendar to see whether I'd been
asleep for a few weeks and the date was April 1st. I feel like it
must be. The structure depicted in Paul's drawing is just a (very)
short, capacitively end-loaded, dipole. No way or means is provided
to alter the phase relation between the current in the wire and the
charge on the end plates. (I'd call the end plate a "top hat" if this
were a monopole fed against ground; perhaps I should call the end
plates top and bottom hats.) Unless I missed something or something
was missing in Paul's drawing, you don't need NEC-4 to understand this
antenna.

  -Chuck.