Re: NEC-LIST: Boundary Element/Moment Method interaction matrix

From: Chris Smith <rfguys_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:55:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:45:38 -0500, Alexandre Kampouris wrote:

> Hiya all!
>
> I've got some (dumb?) question which has been nagging for a little
> while:
>
> Do the Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors of the moment method interaction
> matrix have any physical meaning?
>
> That's all. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexandre

Alexandre,

I think the eigenvectors respresent resonances - based loosely on the
following reasoning.

The moment method is roughly solving [Z] I = E where [Z] is the
interaction matrix, I is the unknown current vector, and E is the
applied E-field vector. If I is an eigenvector then [Z] I = L I where
L is an eigenvalue, so that [Z] (1-L) I = 0. Then I is a current
vector existing for no applied E-field. This would seem to be a
resonant mode.

Chris Smith
RF Guys