Re: FW: NEC-LIST: CFA for MF AM Broadcasting

From: John Belrose <john.belrose_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:14:19 -0500

Paul,

Regarding your message, copied below, have you been following the
discussion on the CFA during the past couple of weeks, whithin the
NEC-List forum?

Some of us (the majority of us) think that the CFA is a fairy tale
antenna, which should RIP. The inventor (Maurice Hatley) and
co-inventor (F.M. Kabbary) seem to think it is the best thing since
sliced bread.

Until I see measured field strengths, and other characteristics, such
as bandwidth, measured by someone other than the inventor and
co-inventor team, I belong to the school that thinks claims are
completely unrealistic.

My correspondence has stimulated a response from two research
scientists/broadcast engineers.

Max J Schmitt <mjschmit_at_bellatlantic.net>, is currently simulating
performance by numerically modelling the original version of the
Egyptian antenna.

And, Dr. Ing. Alberto Fassio <afassio_at_iol.it>, has purchased a CFA
from the Egyptians, and is currently installing it (somewhere in
Italy).

Alberto's measurements should reveal the true facts; but Max's study
is needed so that we can learn what is going on, and this study will
no doubt reveal something to be learned. Others may enter the
picture. I have the tools (NEC-4D) to model the antenna, but I do not
have the tools to create cylinders and circular plates --- I would
need wire grid versions.

Both Max and Alberto have promised to send me the results of their
simulation, and measurements.

I know of only one other believer, Brian Stewart*
<b.stewart_at_gcal.ac.uk>, who is also a Scot, and probably a friend/or
belongs to the same school as Maurice.

The Egyptian report which I have referenced will the subject of a
paper to be presented at the NAB Broadcasters Meeting in April, in Las
Vegis, NV. Gerald.Chouinard, a broadcast engineer in our Laboratory,
will be participating in this meeting. I look forward to his comments
on discussion following presetation of the paper (although he not a MF
broadcast engineer). And, of course we will have the paper to read.

Regards, Jack

*Dr Brian G Stewart
Dept of Engineering
Glasgow Caledonian University
City Campus
Cowcaddens Road
Glasgow G4 0BA

Gentlemen:

There is much excitement among radio antenna designers about a new
type of antenna being deployed in Egypt. Is there truth to the
forwarded report shown below? Is the ERTU replacing its conventional
MF and Long Wave broadcast antennas with any new type? In case you
are unaware of these type matters, who would know of such a change?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Regards,

Paul E. Gili, Sr. E.E.
Antennas and Receivers Department
Advanced Technology Division
Sanders, A Lockheed-Martin Company
Nashua, NH 03061
United States

603-885-3938
603-656-1209
Gili, Paul E <paul.e.gili_at_lmco.com>

Hello All,

The about-to-be-told story of this startling antenna is noted in the NAB
Broadcasters column Radio TechCheck, published in the Weekly newsfax for
Radio broadcast engineers, 15 February 1999.

Apparently the EATU (Egyptian Radio and Television Union) is planning to
replace all of its conventional MF and Long Wave broadcast stations with
CFAs.

The current version of the antenna involves adding conic sections to the
cylindrically-shaped E-plate, which results (so it is said) in a
significant increase in groundwave, producing a significant decrease in
skywave. And, for an an antenna whose height is only 1.8-percent of a
wavelength, it has a bandwidth of 48 kHz at a frequency of 603 kHz --- an
unheard of performance!!!

So could this fairy tale antenna be real??? If so we are on the verge of
an antenna revolution.

Regards, Jack

John S. (Jack) Belrose, PhD Cantab, VE2CV
Senior Radioscientist
Radio Sciences Branch
Communications Research Centre
PO Box 11490 Stn. H