Re: NEC-LIST: CFA in short

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 23:02:05 -0500

Paulmoody_at_onaustralia.com.au wrote:
><< I operate a 6 foot loop antenna on 3.5 MHz. This antenna is well
> below the 'normal' size of antennas for this band. Is this loop a
> dipole ?>>

to which Chip <Fractenna_at_aol.com> replied:
> Yes. It is a form of folded dipole, with length far less than a
> wavelength. Not all 'dipoles' are 1/2 wave in length
> electrically. I understand the confusion in the term and am happy to
> be further enlightened by others here.

A small loop may be regarded as a magnetic dipole but differs strongly
from a so-called "folded dipole" in that current flows in the same
direction (e.g., clockwise) all the way around a small loop, whereas
in a folded dipole there are current nodes at both ends, and in
between the current flow in the parallel conductors is in the parallel
sense, e.g., left to right in both wires, meaning clockwise in one
wire and counterclockwise in the other.

-Chuck W1HIS