NEC-LIST: CFA modeling results

From: Max J Schmitt <mjschmit_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 11:00:57 -0500

Hello Giuseppe,

I see that you modeled the CFA with the EZNEC program, and I would
like to share my modeling results with you. Perhaps you can just list
your modeling result data via e-mail ?

I have modeled the original Ground Plane Crossed Field Antenna ( CFA )
with the dimensions, described in M.C. Hately's paper.

I modeled the antenna in form of a grid wire model. I could not model
the actual phasing network ( too complex ), but I fed the E-plate and
D-plate directly, with the recommended phasing, preventing any
radiation of coax cables, etc.

My results are :

Frequency 1.0 - 1.2 MHz
Antenna Gain -52 to -54 dBi
VSWR 1838 : 1
Real impedance 0.054 - 0.066 ohms ( 1.0 - 1.2 MHz )
Reactance + j 50 to + j 60 ohms
Phase 89.937 - 89.938 deg ( 1.0 - 1.2 MHz ) with +/- 45 deg phase
            between E plate and D plate
Phase changes 0 - 90 deg had little effect on gain or othe parameters !

Removing the D plate lowered the gain to -59 dBi and lowered the
impedance to 0.049 ohms real.

The Smith chart showed the antenna to be inductive, i.e., the E plate!

I am in the process to model the CFA with the WIPL program, which
allows me to model complete plates ( more realistic than grid wires !
).

Max Schmitt