Re: NEC-LIST: CFA and the Hately advertisement

From: Dave Michelson <davem_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/21/99 3:53:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dbaker_at_postino.up.ac.za writes:

<< memory serves me right, some operators at HF prefer to use a
 so-called 190 degree mast (little over 0.5 lambda), in order to reduce
 the skywave component and to increase the ground range before one gets
 interference between sky- and groundwave at night. I do recall an
 article where the authors described a means of using toploading with
 stay wires (insulated) to get comparable results to the 190 degree
 tower with a 90 degree (lambda over 4) tower. The details are lost in
 my filing cabinets somewhere.

That is, indeed, confusing. IF you can get a 1/2 wave height, then WHY
use a CFA?

Anyone know?

73 Chip N1IR