NEC-LIST: Backscatter results using NECBSC

From: <RLOJMO_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

I sent the following to Dr. Marhefka. If anyone else has some ideas
I'd appreciate their help. Another question regarding this is how
does one calibrate the backstatter results from BSC? Thanks in
advance.

Bob

<<Dear Dr. Marhefka,

Thank you very much for your help on using the back scatter option of
BSC. My employer asked me a question about the direct field which I
was unable to answer, hopefully this is the last time I will need your
help! When using the backscatter option with the receiver movement
only the example in the manual suggests turning off the direct field
to get the correct results for the back scattered field. I understand
the reason for this, however to check the results I used the XT
command to turn on only the direct field with the option INCFLD. My
question is why with only the direct field turned on is there still
scattering from the object e.g. cylinder, sphere etc. present? What
is the definition for direct field that the code uses? Is this a
mistake on my part? If you don't have time to answer this is there a
reference you could refer me to that would answer this question? Your
help is very appreciated I hope you don't mind my (naive ?) questions.

Regards,

Bob