NEC-LIST: Wanted: Speed comparison PIII 550 vs PIII 550 Xeon

From: Ed Troy <etroy_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:33:40 -0400

I'm sure they're out there now, but I have not been able to find
them. I am looking to upgrade computing facilities, and I am wondering
if there is any real advantage to using a PIII Xeon vs. a PIII for
intensive computation tasks and graphics. So far, what I have seen
indicates that the Xeon is great for a server application, but it does
not help much with conventional computing. That does not really make
sense to me, but I need some real results. (Sure, if you are
recalc'ing a spread sheet, I can see where there is no real advantage,
but if you are running a MOM simulation that takes many hours, a 25 to
50%, or whatever, improvement would be meaningful.

Anybody know of any tests, or have any first hand experience?