NEC-LIST: lightning data

From: Chris Smith <rfguys_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am looking for time-domain files of the electric field (ideally the
vertical component) of a lightning stroke. I would like spectral
content to several MegaHertz (preferably 10 MHz), so the time sampling
needs to be on the order of Megasamples/second. I don't need the
entire sequence of a leader stroke and return strokes, but the
strongest would be nice.

If anyone can send me a reference or a URL of such data, I would
appreciate it.

For those NEC-LISTers who are interested, I am attempting to calculate
the voltage waveform at the feedpoint of some simple antennas. Of
course, NEC will give the transfer function in the frequency domain,
and some FFT routines will complete the convolution - once a driving
source is found! This is identical to a (now old) technique for
computing the response of antennas and structures to EMP. However, I
am unaware of anyone having published a "canonical" lightning stroke
field expression.

Chris Smith
NX0E
RFGuys_at_excite.com