RE: NEC-LIST: Gridding up vehicles

From: Halsema, Paul <phalsema_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:49:23 -0400

> From: John Ross [mailto:johnross_at_johnross.com]
>
> Matt Taylor wrote:
>
> > Assume that one desires to model an antenna on a vehicle of some
> > type, whether that vehicle is a land, sea or air vehicle. Assume
> > that one has some computer model of the vehicle, like an Autocad
> > drawing file. What is the easiest way to mesh up the vehicle for
> > NEC modeling? ...
>
> If you find such an item please let me know. I work on vehicular
> antennas for the auto industry and this is the single biggest
> problem we face. I currently use some proprietary CAD tools that can
> mesh very complicated surfaces. Unfortunately, even with these
> sophisticated tools we still have to do lots of manual fixing before
> we have a mesh suitable for NEC.

Although I haven't been directly involved, I understand that folks
have used the meshing tools designed for structural analysis in
commercial packages such as IDEAS, Aries and PRO-E to perform similar
tasks. As John said, even with such tools it takes some tweaking of
the model and the generated file before when really has a useful MOM
model.

   ---Paul

    Paul Halsema - Antenna Systems
    Harris Corporation
    PO Box 94000 / MS 19-4845 / Melbourne, FL 32902 /
    voice: 407.729.3536 / email: phalsema_at_harris.com