NEC-LIST: 80 4SQR With 160 Inverted L

From: Mervin E. Stump <MERVW2OE_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 08:30:33 -0500 (EST)

I have been using a 4SQR array on 80 meters for a number of years and
have modeled the system using Antenna Optimizer which as I recall is
NEC2 based. I wanted to put a 160 meter inverted L in the middle of
the 4 square, but I thought I should model it to make sure it did not
destroy the pattern on the 4 square. To my surprise the model shows
that the pattern of the 4 square is improved.

Specifically, I put in a 160 meter inverted L which is 65 feet high
with a horizontal section of 65 feet. The vertical section is exactly
in the middle of the 4 square and the horizontal section runs between
two of the 80 meter verticals. Without the 160 meter antenna the
model shows a front to back ratio on the 80 meter 4 square of about 25
db and in reality this is about what I get. With the 160 meter
antenna in the middle the model shows a front to back ratio on the 80
meter 4 square of about 30 db. Interestingly enough you can run the
horizontal section of the 160 between any two of the verticals with
out changing the pattern.

Question: Does anyone really believe this? Is there really a free
lunch?

Regards, Merv