Re: NEC-LIST: Fano criteria

From: George Hagn <hagn_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:43:23 -0500

Doug:

Thanks for the comprehensive commentary/summary on broadbanding and
autotuners. I agree that the autotuners are working the "narrow band"
matching problem; whereas, the broadbanding problem is to achieve an
acceptable input impedance over a broader band of interest. And the
gain-bandwidth product being a constant for a given setup applies to
the broadbanding case. And the autotuner, if it does its job well,
should always win the narrow band race.

Some years ago I was involved in designing and testing broadband HF
antennas for manpack radios. In order to avoid the need for a tuner of
any kind, I went for antennas with a constant input impedance over the
2-30 MHz band (with a goal of VSWR <= 2:1). This was achieved using
travelling wave antennas, such as vertical half rhombics and sloping V
antennas with resistive terminations and feedpoint baluns as
required. The exact values of the resistors and the balun
transformation ratio were optimized, as were the required
elevation-plane patterns, using NEC. The result was a set of antennas
to cover different communications ranges which could handle fast
frequency hopping (FH) radios or direct-sequence spread spectrum
(DSSS) radios operating within the HF band by feeding the antenna(a)
from a 50-ohm port on the manpack transciever.

I was, in a sense, buying bandwidth with loss (the power dissipated in
the terminating resistors), which is fine if your link budget can
tolerate the loss.

All for now.

George