RE: NEC-LIST: Dipoles above Ground

From: Chuck Counselman <ccc_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:34:17 -0500

Regarding which of two very low dipoles has more gain toward the
zenith: I haven't done the simulations (yet) and don't know what
"ground" model Jack or others have used in their simulations (Did
anyone say?), but:

1. For an HF antenna very near ground, power dissipation in the
ground, due to ground resistivity, is a major part of the power
budget.

2. The dipole having its ends near ground may induce more ground
current and thus more dissipation, than the antenna with its center
near ground and its ends higher.

3. In view of (1) and (2), interferometer analogies based on imaging
in a perfectly reflecting ground surface can be dangerous.

4. I agree with Jack, of course, that every part of the antenna that
carries current contributes to the radiation field.

73 de Chuck W1HIS