NEC-LIST: Radiation

From: EDMUND K MILLER <EKMILLER_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 05:36:31 -0600

Hello Doug,

> But, it is common in most of the fields and waves books I've seen to
> deduce the wave equation required for radiation from Maxwell. In that
> result is a term that has acceleration. The same as required by the
> wave equation.
>
> I'm not sure if you'll accept the analogy, but as specific as
> Bremstraulung radiation is to a particle changing velocity, more
> general radiation is to a wave changing velocity. A form of
> conservation of energy I suppose. My *opinion* of course.

I think that you're probably referring to the Lienard-Wiechert
potentials that show explicitly that the only 1/r terms in the
expressions for the E- and H-fields of an arbitrarily moving charge
are those associated with acceleration. I would not interpret a wave
changing velocity itself as radiating, but rather that its interaction
with the medium/object perturbing its velocity is the cause of the
radiation. An obvious example is a plane wave incident on a PEC
plane.

Best wishes,

Ed

--