NEC-LIST: NEC4WIN95 versus NEC2 for quads

From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 23:40:38 +1100

I've been modelling a quad with NEC4WIN95 and I'm fairly happy with
the model I've come up with. I just ran it in NEC2 though and the
results are quite different. NEC2 shows maximum radiation at quite a
high angle; NEC4WIN95 says the maximum is at 14 degrees, which is what
I want.

Now the NEC4WIN95 model knows the height above ground, while the NEC2
model is in free space. How can I tell NEC2 the height above ground
for Z = 0? How much difference will it make? Varying the height above
ground in NEC4WIN95 does change the results quite a lot. (I did not
try using a really large height to approximate free space.)

How inaccurate is the modelling of quads with NEC4WIN95 v2 (which
according to the help is based on MININEC 3)? I like the results from
that program but would not like to build the antenna and find out that
the modelling was flawed.

thanks

Hamish VK3SB