Re: NEC-LIST: DECT Coverage in Metal Tunnel

From: Prof Duncan Baker <dbaker_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:17:37 +0200

Good day.

You seem to have a reverberation problem with very strong standing
waves. One of the techniques in EMC receiving attention nowadyas is
the use of reverberation chambers or mode stir chambers in
suceptibility or emission measurements. A large paddle is used to
stir the fields, and also to keep on changing orientation.

I doubt this will help your problem, but I think it helps to explain
what you observe.

I guess it is not pactical to use some sort of antenna diversity?

KwanMeng Chong wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have to study the coverage of a DECT phone system (1.8 GHz, TDMA)
> in a metal tunnel 10 meters width, 5 meters height and 40 meters
> depth. Both ends of the tunnel are covered with metal, and as such,
> the tunnel looks like a metal box....

Prof. Duncan C. Baker (Pr. Eng., FIEEE, FSAIEE, Sci. Nat.)
Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Eng.,
University of Pretoria, 0002 Pretoria, SOUTH AFRICA.
 Editor, IEEE Region 8 News.
Region 8 Homepage - http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/8/  or
   http://www.ieee.org/regional/r8/
PHONE +27 12 420 2775 (OFFICE),  +27 12 361 7480 (HOME)
FAX   +27 12 362 5000 (OFFICE),  +27 12 348 5314 (HOME)
E-MAIL: University: dbaker_at_postino.up.ac.za
        IEEE alias address: duncan.baker_at_ieee.org
 Private server address:  apc_at_acenet.co.za
LOCAL STANDARD TIME = UT+2 HOURS