Re: NEC-LIST: Electrically "short" antennas ...

From: Chip Cohen <Fractenna_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:39:01 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/00 8:18:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ccc_at_space.mit.edu writes:

<<
IIRC, the guy was sweeping over a wide range of frequency. An
individual bazooka is a narrow-band (quarter-wavelength resonant?)
device, isn't it? I notice that you told the guy to use a *series* of
bazooka baluns. That's something I never heard of before, but it
seems to make sense. I imagine that they're nested. Do you have
experience doing this? Does it work well? Any numbers for a real
case?

 -C. >>

Hi Chuck--

I will also pass this onto the list to clarify.

There are some fairly broadband bazooka baluns; they are fluted like a
discone (counterpoise) but you are correct--I didnt see anything about
a broad sweep in the original post, and standard bazooka baluns are
moderate Q, usually about 10% BW.

I have made series bazooka baluns in the past out of tubing and/or
rifle shells (depending on freq). The 'pro' ones I have seen are
welded brass with some sort of plastic inserts. The ones I have seen
elsewhere are typically series as 3 in a row.

Best,

Chip