Re: NEC-LIST: Near field (over ground)

From: Stanislav Tarnavskii <stan_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:13:34 +0930

Gerald Burke wrote:

> In Stan Tarnavskii's data:
>
> GN2,0,0,0,14.,.0001,
> FR0,1,0,0,10.,
>
> the complex relative permittivity is 14 - j3(10^-3). With this small
> a loss tangent the lateral wave is very significant. This is the wave
> that goes from the antenna into the ground, travels through the ground
> and then emerges at the evaluation point. The oscillations in
> amplitude are the interference between the lateral wave and the direct
> wave. The Norton approximation, used beyond one wavelength, does not
> include the lateral wave, so the oscillations disappear. In most
> antenna applications the lateral wave is completely attenuated and not
> of interest. It would be of interest if you are trying to use it to
> determine the ground parameters, as in some of King and Smith's work,
> and then NEC would not give useable results beyond one wavelength.
> NEC-4 has the same limitation....

Jerry, thank you for your comments. Could you please provide me with the
reference of the King and Smith's work that you mentioned above.

    Kind Regards,

    Stan Tarnavskii
    Centre for Sensor Signal and Information Processing
    SPRI Building
    Mawson Lakes Boulevard
    Mawson Lakes, SA 5095
    AUSTRALIA

    Tel. (+61 8) 8302 5841, Fax: (+61 8) 8302 3124
    e-mail: stan_at_cssip.edu.au