NEC-LIST: large files in GNEC

From: Mary Beth <marybeth_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:08:18 -0400

Hello,

I have seen many postings about GNEC and large memory requirements.
Any specific tech support issues should be sent to:

 tech-support_at_nittany-scientific.com

We always advise that large problems only be run in virtual memory.
If the NEC core needs to start swapping to disk then it can take up
approximately 3-4x the amount of space needed. Therefore, if your
model will require 500 megs of virtual memory if that memory is not
available the NEC core will swap to disk and take up approximately 1.5
- 2 gig of drive space. If you have that much drive space then you
should increase your virtual memory. I do not know if spreading the
virtual memory over multiple drives causes any problems. I do know
that swapping to disk will make the problem crawl. I am not aware that
the file swapping may be broken but if someone is willing to send a
test file to the above email we can look into it.

Windows 95 has a limitation that it can only run 4095 segments in
virtual memory. If your model contains more than that amount then the
complete model will end up using swap space. That is why we only
recommend NT for large models. I have asked the NEC core programmer to
verify whether this limitation is because of the DEC compiler or a
problem with Windows 95/98. If it is a compiler problem maybe DEC has
fixed it.

Regards,

Mary Beth
NSI