Re: NEC-LIST: Compiling NEC4

From: Gerald Burke <burke2_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:10:15 -0700

>I have been trying to compile NEC4.1 with Microsoft Powerstation
>Fortran 4.0, but I am getting the run time error: Unhandled exception
>in nec4d.exe: 0x0000094: Integer Divide by zero. The debugger
>indicates that this is on line 4879 ( ISEG=(N+M)/(NP+MP) ). Both NP
>and MP are zero. I have tried different input files and compiler
>options but they have not made a difference.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to compile the program correctly?
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Waymond Scott

Waymond,

That sounds like a problem that occurs with the use of a default
format "*" in internal (read from a string) read statements with the
Microsoft Powerstation compiler. The "*" formats in subroutine PARSIT
should be changed to something like '(I15)' for integer and '(E15.5)'
for real. There are only two cases. However, we made these change a
long time ago in codes sent out from here, so maybe there is some
other problem in your code. You could check to see if all numbers
from input are zero or just NP and MP.

The code compiled with the DEC/Compaq Visual Fortran compiler runs
about three times faster than Powerstation code with full
optimizations. I think even unoptimized Visual Fortran code is faster
than fully optimized Powerstation code.

Jerry Burke
LLNL