Re: NEC-LIST: Question about accuracy of Sommerfeld ground with

From: Keith Lysiak <KLysiak_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 8:32:28 CDT

Chris,

        I have not tried your specific scenario, but I have had very
good success with wire gridding of solid objects. I typically only
begin to see significant errors with the mesh when I am well within
the wire radius (between the wires of the solid). Remember when you
grid the solid that the wire radius should equal the segment length
divided by 2*pi and to keep the wire length as consistent as possible
and at least lambda/10 or smaller. Having wires that are too thick or
too thin will cause just as much errors.

        If your objects are very close to each other or ground try
using much smaller segments. In general, you can not get your
segments too small (as long as you have memory and time).

---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Chris Teixeira" <teixeira_at_isl-inc.com>, on 9/25/00 6:13 PM:

I am using NEC 4-1 to model a scenario where two separate objects, one
a solid object with volume comprised of surface patches, and the other
an antenna made of wire segments. These objects respond to a
far-field source of relatively low frequency (~ 1 Mhz). The two
objects are within a very small fraction of a wavelength of each
other, as well as the ground, which I would like to model with the
Sommerfeld/Asymptotic approach....