RE: NEC-LIST: NEC4 Optimum Desktop Platform

From: John B. Wood <wood_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:48:37 -0500

> John,
>
> I've been running NEC4 and HFSS (finite element code) for a few years on
> various computers. I recently upgraded to a Dell Precision 620 Workstation
> with dual 1GHz Pentium III processors, 2GBytes of RAM, and 15K RPM hard
> drives (RAID capability is available). I'm running on NT 4.0 due to
> limitations in my application software, but will be changing to Windows 2000
> soon.
>
> This system was recommended to me by engineers at Northrop Grumman in
> Melbourne and by application engineers at Ansoft, the developers of HFSS
> (both of these locations have purchased the 620 Workstations for their
> engineers).
>
> The total cost was under $10K and I've been very happy with the performance.
> I don't have a good feel for speed improvements you could expect, but if you
> have a sample NEC problem, I'd be happy to run it on my machine for you and
> send back the .nou file with processing time.

Thanks for replying, Eric. I don't know what FORTRAN compiler you are
using for NEC4 but does it offer any option/optimization to use your
dual processor environment? I am also looking at 64-bit processors
since I do a lot of double precision floating point calculations in
NEC. I wish there was an easy way to know prior to purchase the
processing time savings that I might get with a 64-bit vice 32-bit
architecture.

I appreciate your willingness to run a benchmark. Are you set up to
handle a 20,000 segment problem with 4-fold symmetry?

--
       __    __     ______       __   John Wood