Re: NEC-LIST: Broadband VHF Whip

From: <mjschmit_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:13:03 -0500

zvi frank wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Has anybody got any ideas on making a VHF whip 50 cms long with a
> bandwidth from 30 to 88 MHz. It seems to me a tall order? Thanks in
> advance,
> Zvi

Hi,

If your whip is used for receiving only, you could probably try an
active antenna; even there the bandwidth seems too large! Your
bandwith is almost two octaves or 193 % !

To achieve this large bandwidth with a " whip "( 30 - 88 MHz ), you
could try a combination of capacitive top loading, distributed
resistive loading, and an extreme broadband matching network.

In any case, you will lose efficiency, and it will amount to a
compromise at best, i.e., you will probably NOT achieve that bandwidth
for a 50 cm whip !

Max Schmitt
Cons. Eng.