NEC-LIST:Fortran compilers...

From: Larry Laitinen <laitinen_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:22:16 -0800

I am looking to purchase a Fortran compiler for a physics research project.
Initially the workstation will be a Pentium-4, but then we hope to move on
to a 64-bit Itanium based workstation later next year.

NEC codes compiled by the Compaq Visual Fortran compiler have shown excellent
performance. Intel also has a Fortran compiler for Windows environments.
Does anyone on this list have experience with the Intel compiler? A plus for
the Intel compiler is that it supports both the Pentium-4 and Itanium chips.
As far as I know, the Compaq compiler does not yet support the Itanium. Can
anybody offer any speed comparisons between the compiled codes from both the
Compaq and Intel compilers?

Ease of use comparisons in program development between the two compilers is
also of interest. The Intel compiler requires the use of Microsoft Visual
C++. Presumably this is because it compiles to C code, which then must be
compiled to object code, adding extra steps in the code development process.
Any significant problems with this?

Finally, any feedback on problems, bugs, documentation and support would be
helpful in comparing the two Fortran compilers.

Thanks,

--Larry